The first task on the to-do list is to set a clear goal for your website. It is important for two reasons. First, a clear goal helps you to better direct your website traffic. And secondly, it helps you to avoid loading the website with unnecessary information.
What to write on my website?The biggest mistake you could possibly do is to write about things that you think are important. If you really want to create content that gets you on Google, you have to put yourself into your visitor's perspective.
The most important questionAnyone who ends up on your website is searching for an answer to a specific question. Therefore, the most important question for you as the owner of the website is:
To answer this question, you first have to understand who your potential customers are. It would be even better if you could set a specific target audience for your website.
Set a target audienceIdentifying a specific target audience for your website helps to keep your content clear and to the point. In addition to that, it helps you to formulate straightforward sales messages that actually work — sales messages that ought to speak to everybody usually work on nobody.
In order to identify your website's target audience, ask yourself:
- What kinds of my clients are the most profitable?
- What is the biggest problem to which my clients are seeking a solution?
- Which of my strengths are most valuable to my clients?
- What are the main sales obstacles for my clients?
- Are there any specific values that matter to my clients?
Now all you have to do is to imagine that you are writing directly to your most profitable client segment. With this in mind, try to offer a solution to the client's problem before she even thinks about it. Furthermore, bring out your strengths and address the obstacles in a way that indicates that you share the same values as the client. Easy, isn't it?
How to write good content?Before you storm out to write your content, please stay with me for a bit longer. Depending on whom you decide to write your content for, take a minute and think how they find you in the first place.
How to get more traffic from Google to the website?Think about how you use Google. Most people type in either a specific question or a keyword that captures what they are looking for. In addition to that, I would like to remind you of Google’s mission — that is, to offer people search results that are as relevant as possible.
So, your challenge here is to come up with the keywords that people have in mind when thinking about businesses similar to yours. When writing your content, you just have to draw on these keywords. Sounds simple? It’s actually a little trickier, so continue reading.
Keyword research — the key to successProperly conducted keyword research helps you to find the best keywords to use when writing your content. This means that after the keyword research you have found the best keywords that have the potential to bring the greatest amount of traffic to your website when used in the content. So, how to do keyword research?
Andrus Purde’s method*
- Brainstorm and write down all the keywords that come to mind when thinking about your business.
- Find out what keywords drive traffic to your competitors' websites.
- Find out the search volume of each keyword.
- Find out how difficult the competition is for each keyword.
- Evaluate the relevance of each keyword in the context of your business. Use a scale of 0–100%. This is highly subjective, so when a keyword is extremely relevant, give it 150%.
The tools I recommend using are: Moz, Semrush, Similarweb. Take a minute and watch a tutorial or two on how to best use these tools and you will understand what needs to be done.
Make sure you follow this simple formula to sort out the best keywords:
Once you have finished your keyword research, it is time to start writing your content. When doing so, keep in mind that nobody actually reads your content from the beginning to the end, most of your visitors just scan your texts.
Practical tips & tricks
- Avoid industry-specific jargon — use simple words
- Keep your paragraphs short and to-the-point
- Write as much as needed but as little as possible
- Leave empty space between the paragraphs
- Use headlines and subheadlines to make your text easier to read
- Make sure to summarize the most important point in the subheadlines
- Build your content around your keywords
I really hope you found some new and useful tips in the article. If you think I left out something important, then let us know — we would love to hear your ideas.
In addition, know that you are always most welcome to create your website on Voog — our aim is to keep our website builder as simple as possible, so that you can focus on creating killer content.